Friday, January 23, 2009

Safe

I have been doing a resistance training program--weights. So I have my 7.5 pound little dumbbell that I do three sets of 12 lifts with. It is not very heavy, which of course means that my upper body strength is not great. The gym supplies some of these weights in a girly pink or girly lavender color, to remind you that you have the girl weights, not the real weights.

Members of the local fire department also work out at the gym. Yes, firemen. These are strong guys, and they are buff. None of them is slacking off on the fitness requirement; you can tell by the bulging biceps and pectorals. And they do not lift the 7.5 pound weights. They are challenging themselves, building muscles up, grunting, groaning, and sweating under huge dumbbells. Or they are running 100 mph on the teradmills, with beads of sweat flying. Well, I do not feel very feminine with my little pink dumbbell. When the fire department is on the floor, I bravely chant my positive affirmations: "I am strong!" Yeah, right. Dream on, weakling. Maybe I should join a gym for senior citizens so I can leave 'em in the dust. When I see the fire truck parked outside the gym, I am tempted to turn around and leave, but I drag myself in, all for the sake of physical fitness.

On the positive side, at least we are safe if the gym catches on fire. These big guys will be right on hand to rescue our fat butts.

1 comment:

Joan Novark said...

LOL! Maybe you should "accidentally" drop your pink barbell, go up to one of those firemen, bat your eyelashes and say, "Could one of you handsome gentlemen help me lift this, please?"