Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Blessings

On my eight minute break, I needed to make some copies for my next class. There are two copy machines, one of which was blinking "misfeed" with a digital diagram showing several areas (in red) of the machine needing attention. A chatty ESL teacher was making complex copies on the other machine. The ESL teachers supply a lot of their own materials, and xerox different parts of books or pictures to customize the class handouts. "I just want to finish this," she said.

The misfed machine was hot to the touch. I opened the appropriate areas indicated on the diagrams, pulled out several wrinkled math exams, and slammed the doors. The screen still was blinking. Four more minutes until class. Then two more rushed teachers arrived, papers in hand, hopeful for copies before the next class session.

Then is was my turn. "Oh, you are next," Renee said conscientiously.

One minute to go, I quickly copied the single page I needed. "It's all yours," I announced, gathering together papers.

"Bless you." Renee hurried to the machine, focused on the task at hand.

Years ago I was out with my Jewish grandmother, and a stranger said, "God bless you," in response to a small favor (not a sneeze).

"I never have figured out what I am supposed to say when they say that," I remember Grandma confessing. "What do you say? Thanks?" As far as gods go, I think the Old Testament and New Testament gods are the same; but "God bless you," does have a proselytizing Christian undertone to it. "God bless you, too"?

I accepted the blessings of my acquaintance, a little spark of heartfelt gratitude.

But if I ever try to cut in the xerox line during break, I know the comments coming my way would be equally intense, though on the negative end of the spectrum; I am sure people have been injured over lesser slights in the copy room.

No comments: