Friday, February 20, 2009

The Wonderful World of Birdie

The things my kindergartener says are so cute; they just kill me. I wish I could stop time permanently so he could be the five-year-old in my life forever: all blue jeans, chapped lips, and cowlicks. Everyone needs a five year old in her life!

He found some photos of our decrepit old cat Sassquatch and put them together: "It's Sassy's baby book!"

He is a neatnik who has arranged his shelves perfectly and who MAKES UP HIS BED when it is mussed. Bed-making is unheard of behavior in our household. If I leave a book of item of clothing in his room, about three seconds later he will screech, "Mooom! What is this! Why did you mess up my room?" OK, so this one is cute to think about but annoying on a 24-hour a day basis.


Swinging, he wonders, "What is the opposite of a tree?" Good question. I figure the true answer is the negative space behind where a tree stands, and I launch into an explanation of negative space, and he laughs and says I am wrong. "The opposite is a seed!" Well, why not? Birdicus is all trick questions.


"The ants are having a parade!" Birdie is entranced by minutiae. I look in the dirt and see he is right! The ants are marching in time wearing little matching uniforms, twirling batons, and puffing on tubas.


He is so excited about the class field trip to the real mailboxes to mail a Valentine. When we pass the mailboxes he bubbles over: "There it is! That is where I mailed a letter!" Ah yes and the Valentine was addressed to me and decorated with innumerable hearts.

1 comment:

Joan Novark said...

This is so cute! I was grinning the whole time I read it. Especially picturing the ants in their oompah band...