Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Food Schism

What is a corn dog? Is there actual food in a corn dog? After school, I thawed out some Edamame beans for snack. (The lightly salted ones from Trader Joe's taste really good.) Birdie is screaming, "I want a corn dog! Where is my CORN DOG!?" Then he is shrieking as though someone is torturing him. Dylan has already fished a Coke from the fridge. He has been hoarding the Coke since the Defenders of Wildlife picnic/rally, which supplied the sodas. His dad let him bring one home. I have a sinking feeling in my stomache as I look in the cupboard at the plastic bags containing organic split peas, nutrional yeast from the Co-op. There is no way my kids are going to eat this stuff. Especially not when Dad supplies them with Ding-dongs (a chocolate version of Twinkies) and Cocoa-Crispies on the sly. The colors of some junk foods alarm me--why are Sno-Balls SO pink? The generic Hawaiin Punch Birdie snuck into the shopping cart looks like it will glow in the dark. I am dismayed that my kids are putting these virtual nonfood items, plus chemicals, into their healthy little bodies. How am I going to make peace with the Nutritional Yeast/Ding Dong Schism?

No comments: